Tweet!

Follow me on Twitter @WrenMcMurdo

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Only ten more skinny bitches to draw tonight...*

More friends in town this weekend. The delightful Kenneth, with his sharp wit and glittery dark eyes. His friend David in town, as well. Medical doctor, glowing optimism, snapping photos at every turn. The reason for their visit? None other than Shakira, that beloved Colombian diva with more than just a singing voice.

We sat in the back row at a hauntingly steep altitude in the Staples Center downtown. Shakira in all her glory filling the crowd with racing hearts and sheer adoration. She is a goddess, for sure, with her amazing moves, amazing brains, amazing singing voice that is just as good or better live than in the studio. Though I have never been the hugest fan of her mediocre tunes and strange lyrics, I have a LOT of respect for this woman after seeing her in concert. And her costumes were amazing. (She opened her set in a maddening fuchsia colored wedding dress!)

I kind of hated her, though. I felt the swell of the girl competition threatening to ruin my disposition throughout the evening. The girl competition is really REALLY happening here. I felt it in Seattle, but it was not dealt to me in nearly the dosage it is here. Heaping masses of pressure are heaped on the women of this city. Everywhere dieting, brazillian-blown out tanned beach babes with rich boyfriends/husbands fill the highways, billboards, and miriad shopping centers. They smile with bright white teeth and eyes that say, "I was born this way!" And I smile back thinking "Why did I wear the polka-dotted onsie out in public again?! What was I thinking?"

So far I have been in the presence of four celesbians. Samantha Ronson being the latest. I felt a bit less star-struck by her, probably due to her adorable awkwardness and failing DJ skills, but I couldn't help but feel as though I had checked off another on the bucket list.

*Title in reference to the intense amounts of homework I have each week for my Fashion Sketching class.

No comments:

Post a Comment